Sunday, June 1, 2008

Some of my best friends are coolies...

A couple of years ago, one of my two closest friends and I are travelling in his car when he casually mentions to me that he heard I was racist. How do your respond to such a charge coming from a respected friend? More importantly, how do you respond to such a charge coming from a respected friend who happens to be, and I hate this fucking term, "of another race."?

My ancestry consists of Portuguese, Amerindian, African and Indian. I may look mostly like one thing, "African", but my siblings (same parents) are all "high yella and got that good hair, chile." Call me greedy but I feel I have a right to claim every fucking strand of genetic heritage I have in me...and I do.

The problem this poses with my writing, particularly in racially explosive Guyana, is that because I look more like one thing than the other, my work is automatically categorised as representative of one thing, as unspoken as this may be.

Six years ago, I ran into this phenomenon head-on. After working my ass off on editing the Guyana Christmas Annual 2001, I was called into Guyenterprise (which published the Annual) to respond to a letter charging that a story I published, "Coolie Tom Puss" written by Haslyn Parris, was racist in nature. Now the thing I have noticed with racists is that they are very much like those nasty people who fart in the company of others and then start up a furore by accusing someone else of letting one rip.

Now I had included Parris' story for the specific reason that it highlighted the absurdity of racial prejudice, something I thought was more or less fucking necessary in the aftermath of the 2001 Elections. Every Indian supremacist reactionary nutjob crawled out of the fucking woodwork, offended by the word "coolie" was used in the Annual. Or rather, they sent in a barrage of letters to the Editor under names that rival those published on Chronicle's letter pages in terms of fictitiousness. I had a field day...

"Mr. Thompson finds as "most objectionable" the title of the story. Assuming that it is the word "coolie" which has raised the ire of Mr. Thompson, then I suggest he would be equally offended at seeing David Dabydeen's Coolie Odyssey (Hansib, 1988) or Clem Seecharan's Bechu: Bound Coolie Radical in British Guiana (UWI, 1999). "

By the time the issue ended, it had spawned an editorial in Stabroek News and after a complete dissection of their idiocy by yours truly, the ghost writers went on to attack my age (I was 21 at the time) and my literary qualifications. My age I couldn't defend, but my response to my alleged lack of literary qualifications was having two manuscripts shortlisted for the Guyana Prize for Literature that same year.

I admit now that experiencing racism in Guyana was a culture shock for me in the years after leaving high school. I spent the bulk of my formative years in President's College. In PC back then, race was more for descriptive purposes than anything else, largely cut off as we were from the prejudices - that inheritance of divisive neurosis - that was one legacy of our parents.

For the most part, PC people (the men in particular) treat the fact that we come from the same alma mater as if we belong in some Skull and Bones society or some lodge. And not in the pompous, punkish way those QC faggots do it either - it's a more solid, more real broderbund that came out of living in the same dorms, eating at the same tables, peeping through the windows at the same girls, pissing in the same "brewery". Saying you are a PC banna is good for anything from a job, free drinks, access to information, ...it's like saying that you been in jail in certain gangsta cultures.

While my friends in SASOD are fighting up about the dangers of prejudice against people because of their sexual orientation, racism is the leading fucking ill that is plaguing or society - most other shit are just what can be called the opportunistic illnesses.

And what we are faced in Guyana is not only racial division but racial stratification as well. In a small society such as ours, with limited access to resources, a political system that is based on racial division is going to naturally shape a racially defined socio-economic system, the definition of politics after all being who gets what, when and how. Where we had the insidious black power ethos during the seventies and eighties, we have the insidious hinduvta ethos today.

The role of the writer in a society like this is to cut through all the bullshit and let the chips fall where they may. The friend who mentioned to me that he heard I was racist is still my friend today and that's what's important.

I do not go for political correctness because political correctness gives bigots the room to squirm and manoeuvre before spitting their acid. I'd expected the shit to fly when it came to Ariadne & Other Stories but the psychos chose to stay in the woodwork, possibly because of the ass-whupping they received in the wake of The Annual. And possibly because of reviews like this.

With Fictions however, I hope whatever I have to illustrate about race and race relations is attacked because I have been itching for a public brawl for the past six years - I come from Tucville Terrace and the ghetto does show up in me every now and again, even in intellectual matters. Heck, I might even get a lil brawl from the title of this post.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aye, Wha de rass u a call me coolie fah? Yuh cant see i am indian? Ruel u are so sweet. Just ignore anyone who would want to brand u racist. Those of us who know the humble person in you know better.
But wait...why do u have to swear so much? then again Fuck is just another word (perhaps it means something noble or righteous in another language).

peace out!

signifyinguyana said...

"Call me greedy but I feel I have a right to claim every fucking strand of genetic heritage I have in me...and I do."

I won't call you greedy, I'll call you Guyanese.

Keep fighting the good fight my friend. Some of us overseas-based Guyanese "got your back."

Anonymous said...

Yuh really warish yuh know! :-)

Anonymous said...

Charmaine, Who cares ratsss ass if u are overseas?

signifyinguyana said...

Anon, what de hell you mean? Come out of hiding and explain yourself.

Megatron said...

"Men, don't argue--you cannot win. You cannot beat a woman in an argument--it's impossible. You will not win. Because men, we are handicapped when it comes to arguing, because we have a need to make sense. Women aren't going to let a little thing like sense screw-up their argument."

Dear charmaine, do not even bother to ask for an explanation from that woman. She suffers from an affliction all persons born without the Y-chromosome bear; Female Tourette's Syndrome. Here, they tend to blurt out words of immense stupidity as well as the more common tendency to utter obscenities. Please Click Here for more information on it.

Anonymous said...

Common Charmaine, are you gonna allow this dragon to speak about your specie in that manner....common defense please!

signifyinguyana said...

The Dragon is assuming that the person who wonders "who cares ratsss ass if [I-Charmaine-am] overseas" is a woman. I'm not so sure.

If the person is a woman and she is currently fucking or would like to be fucked by Ruel, then she should rest assured that I am not her competition. (At least I'm assuming that's her reason for questioning my "overseas" interest.)

If the person is a man, then he should also rest assured I am not his competition. (Take that whichever way you please). lol.

Megatron said...

We all know that "The Dragon" has assumed correctly.

Further Charmaine, you should try to teach the rest of your gender how to use the words 'common' and
'come on'
properly, lest they look like idiots. While you're at it, you can also teach them about the usage of their, there and they're. And don't forget to show them the difference between your and you're while you're at it.

It is obvious to us all that you are literate. Perhaps you can do us a favour by helping to spread some of your sense around to your fellow women so that they can get infected by sense (instead of them sleeping around and picking up chlamydia).

Anonymous said...

I am not sure why Ruel finds it necessary to use the f#%^*@" word to explain himself. I believe people who use those words so often in their speech are limited in their vocabulary. A description that does not apply to Ruel as a PC old student.

Anyways keeping writing

Anonymous said...

is only "specie" if yuh talking bout money

Anonymous said...

Nice, Ruel. Know that you are not the only one with this problem. Some of my closest friends are of African origin - people who mentored me, pushed me and looked out for me and yet I was accused of being racist. I had the same culture shock problem when I came to Guyana as I was previously exposed to a culture where you just hang out with people for 'who they are'.I hope we can get pass the terrible race problem in Guyana.