Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Address Certain Things

First of all Stolid, I don't trust your sense of judgment anymore. Timeka Marshall is fucking hot and anybody who says otherwise is either hating or gay - which one are you?

As for what I've been up to during the past couple days...I've been trying to focus myself back on my consultancy work, so far disastrously. What I have been far more successful at is getting back to the roots of my writing via visits to the National Library and it has been a sublime experience. Also, I recently discovered a sweet passage in some notes on a story that I have decided to include in Fictions, Volume II and that has made me very happy indeed.

Now, with regards to Fictions, Volume I, please don't bother asking me whether what I am writing is all fictional or not. I'd like to quote you Philip Roth beforehand so you can save yourself the trouble.

I write fiction and I’m told it’s autobiography, I write autobiography and I’m told it’s fiction, so since I’m so dumb and they’re so smart, let them decide what it is or it isn’t.

Philip Roth, Deception

My point in naming the book what it is was to provoke the inevitable question to which the only answer is, "It really doesn't fucking matter all that much." The questions I've been bombarded with so far, and the downright assertions and accusations:

"'The Last Affair' is about you and your wife isn't it?"
"So your cock is six inches, no measure from the base, seven inches?"
"So you fuck the coolie girl, eh?"

So far, what I have failed to see, and this is an indictment of the state of culture in Guyana, that there has so far been no review of Fictions or any other CARIFESTA publication in any of the local papers. You have a critically acclaimed young writer releasing a book after five years and there is no review of it? And then when I go on television and say that the cultural environment in Guyana is fucking decrepit, the Brown-Nose posse all huddle and whisper how fucking unpatriotic I am.

Give me a couple of days, and I am going to start releasing some righteous fucking anger up in this place, so all who might have thought that I've gone soft and complacent in my old age, lost the fire in my belly as it were, wait till you get a load of this lil upstart reloaded.

8 comments:

Megatron said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have fire in your belly. I'd like to sugest that you take some Pepto Bismol for that, otherwise the fire will be burning much more than just your belly next time you take a seat on the porcelain throne.

And I agree with you, Timeika Marshall is hot, and Typheon is as well. I would like to be in a room with the two of them, some satin sheets, a king size bed, feather pillows, whipped cream, whips & chains, some hot sauce and .....

Guyana Media Critic said...

What! You must be crazy.. I've seen too much better to rate that. She looks frekking weird..

And what is she doing with that little belly? Somebody out there is going to rate her of course, I'm not that somebody.

signifyinguyana said...

I agree. The silence on your book is deafening. Maybe sometime later this year when they see the truckload of shit somebody said someplace, then they'll jump in and defend you. Ready for war?

Anonymous said...

yeah right

Anonymous said...

I'm still waiting on my copy of Fictions Vol.1. Since I was mentioned in a whole paragraph I think I deserve a free copy. Don't mind buying it though, if there was somewhere in NY I could find it. BTW,Its way bigger than 7inches, measure again.;)

Guyana Media Critic said...

Wait, wait. I didn't say Typheon was ugly now...........

....Or did I?

Anyway, Typheon got it.

Anonymous said...

hmm

MediaCritic said...

Shut yuh skunt. Living Guyana did a glorious literary review of your book: http://livinguyana.blogspot.com/2008/09/fictions.html

And for the record we do think the story of the coolie man coming back from Canada is utterly autobiographical.