Thursday, June 18, 2009

After One Year

After today, how I shall I speak to you? It's been going on a year now since I launched Fictions, Volume One and unfortunately I haven't finished Volume Two as yet.

My primary ambitions as a writer have been, perhaps in this order, to write 'about' Guyana, to do it the best, and to do it as early as I can within this finite and unknown span of years I've been alloted. I says "ambitions as a writer" because I have myself on this sort of loosely conceived schedule which has me venturing into the world of moving images in the not so distant future - movies, television, videogames.

I have come to realise that my internal 'Clock of Ambition' is out of sync with whatever Mean Time that is seemingly dictating the 'CoA's of most of my peers and contemporaries. Many people have their sights set on a car and a house at thirty; my goal is an international award for my writing, and the beginning of my career in film production, house and car being of secondary, maybe even tertiary, importance. Every now and then, I synchronise my CoA, and when I do I am a rabid conceptualiser and planner, granted with a C in the implementation department.

This is currently the phase in which I find myself, and I've had this sort of anti-climactic epiphany about the paucity of editorial services in Guyana and the capacity for growth in this area. This is where the entrepreneurial side of me kicks in and what I've been finding recently is that there has been a middle path between the two drives - the creative and the 'accumulative' - and that they don't have to be mutually exclusive. The problem is that it takes a tremendous amount of energy and focus, editing papers some of which give you a headache after the first paragraph and then writing a paragraph or two for a short story.

In my next post, I'm going to write a little about how Guyana-blog culture has changed in the past year, particularly with the demise of the formidable Livinguyana.com, and the rise and reactivation of some other blogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Writer it is good to be ambitious and to dream big. However, do not confuse reality with fantasy island. There is a natural order on which things run and if you fuck with it, it will fuck with you. There are no silver linings for Guyanese, this is not like USA where appearing talent can accelerate your jump into stardom.

Youu should follow you peers, get a decent job, buy a car, own a home. Think about your child(ren) don't be selfish and stupid. Secure their future then pursue your hobbies.

Anonymous said...

Well said Mercenary, I think that this is the best advice you can give the aspiring models,artistes and writers.
To some extent being a journalist in Guyana isn't profitable either especially if you are not working for the State owned news agency. I see many of the young journalists quit or are playing hop scotch.